A Revelation to Joseph, Oliver and David, making known the calling
of twelve disciples in these last days, and also, instructions relative
to building up the church of Christ, according to the fulness of the gospel:
Given in Fayette, New-York, June, 1829.
- Now behold, because of the thing which you have desired to know of
me, I give unto you these words:
- Behold I have manifested unto you, by my Spirit in many instances,
that the things which you have written are true:
- Wherefore you know that they are true; and if you know that they are
true, behold I give unto you a commandment, that you rely upon the things
which are written; for in them are all things written, concerning my
church, my gospel, and my rock.
- Wherefore if you shall build up my church, and my gospel, and my rock,
the gates of hell shall not prevail against you.
- Behold the world is ripening in iniquity, and it must needs be, that
the children of men are stirred up unto repentance, both the Gentiles,
and also the house of Israel:
- Wherefore as thou hast been baptized by the hand of my servant, according
to that which I have commanded him:
- Wherefore he hath fulfilled the thing which I commanded him.
- And now marvel not that I have called him unto mine own purpose,
which purpose is known in me:
- Wherefore if he shall be diligent in keeping my commandments, he shall
be blessed unto eternal life, and his name is Joseph.
- And now Oliver, I speak [u]nto you, and also unto David, by the way
- For behold I command all men every where to repent, and I speak unto
you, even as unto Paul mine apostle, for you are called even with that
same calling with which he was called.
- Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God:
- For behold the Lord your God suffered death in the flesh: wherefore
he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come
- And he hath risen again from the dead, that he might bring all men
unto him on conditions of repentance.
- And how great is his joy in the soul that repenteth.
- Wherefore you are called to cry repentance unto this people.
- And if it so be that you should labor in all your days, in crying
repentance unto this people, and bring save it be one soul only unto
me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father?
- And now if your joy will be great with one soul, that you have brought
unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy, if
you should bring many souls unto me?
- Behold you have my gospel before you, and my rock, and my salvation:
- Ask the Father in my name in faith believing that you shall receive,
and you shall have the Holy Ghost which manifesteth all things, which
is expedient unto the children of men.
- And if you have not faith, hope and charity, you can do nothing.
- Contend against no church, save it be the church of the devil.
- Take upon you the name of Christ, and speak the truth in soberness,
and as many as repent, and are baptized in my name, which is Jesus Christ,
and endure to the end, the same shall be saved.
- Behold Jesus Christ is the name which is given of the Father, and
there is none other name given whereby man can be saved:
- Wherefore all men must take upon them the name which is given of the
Father, for in that name shall they be called at the last day:
- Wherefore if they know not the name by which they are called, they
cannot have place in the kingdom of my Father.
- And now behold, there are others which are called to declare my gospel,
both unto Gentile and unto Jew: Yea, even unto twelve:
- And the twelve shall be my disciples, and they shall take upon them
- And the twelve are they which shall desire to take upon them my name,
with full purpose of heart:
- And if they desire to take upon them my name, with full purpose of
heart, they are called to go into all the world to preach my gospel
unto every creature:
- And they are they which are ordained of me to baptize in my name,
according to that which is written; and you have that which is written
- Wherefore you must perform it according to the words which are written.
- And now I speak unto the twelve:
- Behold my grace is sufficient for you: You must walk uprightly before
me and sin not.
- And behold you are they which are ordained of me to ordain priests
and teachers to declare my gospel, according to the power of the Holy
Ghost which is in you, and according to the callings and gifts of God
- And I Jesus Christ, your Lord and your God, have spoken it.
- These words are not of men, nor of man, but of me:
- Wherefore you shall testify they are of me, and not of man; for it
is my voice which speaketh them unto you:
- For they are given by my Spirit unto you:
- And by my power you can read them one to another; and save it were
by my power, you could not have them:
- Wherefore you can testify that you have heard my voice, and know my
- And now behold I give unto you, Oliver, and also unto David, that
you shall search out the twelve which shall have the desires of which
I have spoken; and by their desires and their works, you shall know
- And when you have found them you shall show these things unto them.
- And you shall fall down and worship the Father in my name:
- And you must preach unto the world, saying, you must repent and be
baptized in the name of Jesus Christ:
- For all men must repent and be baptized; and not only men, but women
and children, which have arriven to the years of accountability.
- And now, after that you have received this, you must keep my commandments
in all things:
- And by your hands I will work a marvelous work among the children
of men, unto the convincing of many of their sins, that they may come
unto repentance; and that they may come unto the kingdom of my Father:
- Wherefore the blessings I give unto you are above all things.
- And after that you have received this, if you [k]eep not my commandments,
you cannot be saved in the kingdom of my Father. Behold I Jesus Christ,
your Lord and your God, and your Redeemer, by the power of my Spirit,
have spoken it: Amen.