A commandment of God and not of man to you, Martin, given (Manchester,
New-York, March, 1830,) by him who is eternal:
- Yea, even I, I am he, the beginning and the end: Yea, Alpha and Omega,
Christ the Lord, the Redeemer of the world:
- I having accomplished and finished the will of him whose I am, even
- Having done this, that I might subdue all things unto myself:
- Retaining all power, even to the destroying of satan and his works
at the end of the world, and the last great day of judgement, which
I shall pass upon the inhabitants thereof, every man according to his
works, and the deeds which he hath done.
- And surely every man must repent or suffer, for I God am endless:
- Wherefore, I revoke not the judgments which I shall pass, but woes
shall go forth, weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth:
- Yea, to those who are found on my left hand, nevertheless, it is not
written, that there shall be no end to this torment; but it is written
- Again, it is written eternal damnation: wherefore it is more express
than other scriptures, that it might work upon the hearts of the children
of men, altogether for my name's glory:
- Wherefore, I will explain unto you, this mystery, for it is mete unto
you, to know even as mine apostles.
- I speak unto you that are chosen in this thing, even as one, that
you may enter into my rest.
- For behold, the mystery of Godliness how great it is? for behold I
am endless, and the punishment which is given by my hand, is endless
punishment, for endless is my name:
- Wherefore-- Eternal punishment ) Endless punishment is God's punishment:
) is God's punishment:
- Wherefore, I command you by my name, and by my Almighty power, that
you repent: repent, lest I smite you by the rod of my mouth, and by
my wrath, and by my anger, and your sufferings be sore:
- How sore you know not!
- How exquisite you know not!
- Yea, how hard to bear you know not!
- For behold, I God have suffered these things for all, that they might
not suffer, if they would repent, but if they would not repent, they
must suffer even as I:
- Which suffering caused myself, even God, the greatest of all, to tremble
because of pain, and to bleed at every pore, both body and spirit:
- And would that I might not drink the bitter cup and shrink:
- Nevertheless, glory be to the Father, and I partook and finished
my preparations unto the children of men:
- Wherefore, I command you again by my Almighty power, that you confess
your sins, lest you suffer these punishments of which I have spoken,
of which in the smallest, yea, even in the least degree you have tasted
at the time I withdrew my Spirit.
- And I command you, that you preach naught but repentance; and show
not these things, neither speak these things unto the world, for they
can not bear meat, but milk they must receive:
- Wherefore, they must not know these things lest they perish:
- Wherefore, learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness
of my Spirit and you shall have peace in me, Jesus Christ by the will
of the Father.
- And again: I command you, that thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's
- Nor seek thy neighbors life.
- And again: I command you, that thou shalt not covet thine own property,
but impart it freely to the printing of the book of Mormon, which contains
the truth and the word of God, which is my word to Gentile, that soon
it may go to the Jew, of which the Lamanites are a remnant; that they
may believe the gospel, and look not for a Messiah to come which has
- And again: I command you, that thou shalt pray vocally as well as
- Yea, before the world as well as in secret; in public as well as in
- And thou shalt declare glad tidings; yea, publish it upon the mountains,
and upon every high place, and among every people which thou shalt be
permitted to see.
- And thou shalt do it with all humility, trusting in me, reviling not
- And of tenets thou shalt not talk, but thou shalt declare repentance
and faith on the Savior and remission of sins by baptism and by fire;
yea, even the Holy Ghost.
- Behold this is a great and the last commandment which I shall give
- For this shall suffice for thy daily walk even unto the end of thy
- And misery thou shalt receive, if thou wilt slight these counsels:
Yea, even destruction of thyself and property.
- Impart a portion of thy property; Yea, even a part of thy lands and
all save the support of thy family.
- Pay the printer's debt.
- Release thyself from bondage.
- Leave thyself and home, except when thou shalt desire to see them.
- And speak freely to all: Yea, preach, exhort, declare the truth, even
with a loud voice; with a sound of rejoicing, crying hosanna! hosanna!
blessed be the name of the Lord God.
- Pray always and I will pour out my Spirit upon you, and great shall
be your blessing:
- Yea, even more than if you should obtain treasures of earth, and corruptibleness
to the extent thereof.
- Behold, canst thou read this without rejoicing, and lifting up thy
heart for gladness; or canst thou run about longer as a blind guide;
or canst thou be humble and meek and conduct thyself wisely before me:
- Yea, come unto me thy Savior, Amen.