A Revelation to the church in Kirtland, Ohio, and also the calling
of Edward to the office of bishop, given February, 1831.
- Hearken and hear, O ye my people, saith your Lord and your God, ye
whom I delight to bless with the greatest of blessings, ye that hear
- And ye that hear me not will I curse, that have professed my name,
with the heaviest of all cursings.
- Hearken, O ye elders of my church whom I have called;
- Behold I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall assemble yourselves
together to agree upon my word, and by the prayer of your faith ye shall
receive my law, that ye may know how to govern my church, and have all
things right before me.
- And I will be your Ruler when I come: and behold, I come quickly:
and ye shall see that my law is kept.
- He that receiveth my law and doeth it the same is my disciple;
- And he that saith he receiveth it and doeth it not, the same is not
my disciple, and shall be cast out from among you.
- For it is not meet that the things which belong to the children of
the Kingdom, should be given to them that are not worthy, or to dogs,
or the pearls to be cast before swine.
- And again, it is meet that my servant Joseph should have a house built,
in which to live and translate.
- And again, it is meet that my servant Sidney should live as seemeth
- And again, I have called my servant Edward, and give a commandment,
that he should be appointed by the voice of the church, and ordained
a bishop unto the church, to leave his merchandise and to spend all
his time in the labors of the church; to see to all things as it shall
be appointed unto him, in my laws in the day that I shall give them.
- And this because his heart is pure before me, for he is like unto
Nathaniel of old, in whom there is no guile.
- These words are given unto you, and they are pure before me:
- Wherefore beware how you hold them, for they are to be answered upon
your souls in the day of judgement; even so: Amen.