A Revelation to the church, given in Kirtland, Ohio, March, 1831.
- Hearken, O ye people of my church to whom the kingdom has been given:
- Hearken ye and give ear to him who laid the foundation of the earth;
who made the heavens and all the hosts thereof, and by whom all things
were made which live and move and have a being.
- And again I say, hearken unto my voice, lest death shall overtake
- In an hour when ye think not, the summer shall be past, and the harvest
ended, and your souls not saved.
- Listen to him who is the Advocate with the Father, who is pleading
your case before him:
- Saying Father behold the sufferings and death of him who did no sin,
in whom thou wast well pleased; behold the blood of thy Son which was
shed, the blood of him whom thou gavest that thyself might be glorified:
wherefore Father spare these brethren that believe on my name, that
they may come unto me and have everlasting life.
- Hearken O ye people of my church, and ye elders listen together, and
hear my voice while it is called today, and harden not your hearts:
- For verily I say unto you that I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning
and the end, the light and the life of the world, a light that shineth
in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not:
- I came unto my own and my own received me not:
- But unto as many as received me, gave I power to do many miracles,
and to become the sons of God, and even unto them that believed on my
name gave I power to obtain eternal life.
- And even so I have sent mine everlasting covenant into the world,
to be a light to the world, and to be a standard for my people, and
for the Gentiles to seek to it;
- And to be a messenger before my face to prepare the way before me.
- Wherefore come ye unto it, and with him that cometh I will reason
as with men in days of old, and I will show unto you my strong reasoning;
- Wherefore hearken ye together and let me show it unto you, even my
wisdom, the wisdom of him whom ye say is the God of Enoch, and his brethren,
who were separated from the earth, and were reserved unto myself, a
city reserved until a day of righteousness shall come, a day which was
sought for by all holy men, and they found it hot because of wickedness
and abominations, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims
on the earth;
- But obtained a promise that they should find it, and see it in their
- Wherefore hearken and I will reason with you, and I will speak unto
you and prophesy as unto men in days of old, and I will show it plainly
as I showed it unto my disciples, as I stood before them in the flesh
and spake unto them saying:
- As ye have asked of me concerning the signs of my coming, in the day
when I shall come in my glory, in the clouds of heaven, to fulfill the
promises that I have made unto your fathers;
- For as ye have looked upon the long absence of your spirits from your
bodies to be a bondage, I will show unto you how the day of redemption
shall come and also the restoration of the scattered Israel.
- And now ye behold this temple which is in Jerusalem, which ye call
the house of God, and your enemies say that this house shall never fall.
- But verily I say unto you, that desolation shall come upon this generation
as a thief in the night, and this people shall be destroyed and scattered
among all nations.
- And this temple which ye now see, shall be thrown down that there
shall not be left one stone upon another.
- And it shall come to pass, that this generation of Jews shall not
pass away, until every desolation which I have told you concerning them,
shall come to pass.
- Ye say that ye know, that the end of the world cometh; ye say also
that ye know, that the heavens and the earth shall pass away; and in
this ye say truly, for so it is;
- But these things which I have told you, shall not pass away until
all shall be fulfilled.
- And this I have told you concerning Jerusalem, and when that day shall
come, shall a remnant be scattered among all nations, but they shall
be gathered again; but they shall remain until the times of the Gentiles
- And in that day shall be heard of wars and rumors of wars, and the
whole earth shall be in commotion, and men's hearts shall fail them,
and they shall say that Christ delayeth his coming until the end of
- And the love of men shall wax cold, and iniquity shall abound; and
when the time of the Gentiles is come in, a light shall break forth
among them that sit in darkness, and it shall be the fulness of my gospel;
but they receive it not, for they perceive not the light, and they turn
their hearts from me because of the precepts of men; and in that generation
shall the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled:
- And there shall be men standing in that generation, that shall not
pass, until they shall see an overflowing scourge; for a desolating
sickness shall cover the land:
- But my disciples shall stand in holy places, and shall not be moved;
but among the wicked, men shall lift up their voices and curse God and
- And there shall be earthquakes, also, in divers places, and many desolations,
yet men will harden their hearts against me; and they will take up the
sword one against another, and they will kill one another.
- And now, when I the Lord had spoken these words unto my disciples,
they were troubled; and I said unto them, be not troubled, for when
all these things shall come to pass, ye may know that the promises which
have been made unto you, shall be fulfilled:
- And when the light shall begin to break forth, it shall be with them
like unto a parable which I will show you:
- Ye look and behold the fig trees, and ye see them with your eyes,
and ye say when they begin to shoot forth and their leaves are yet tender,
ye say that summer is now nigh at hand;
- Even so it shall be in that day, when they shall see all these things,
then shall they know that the hour is nigh.
- And it shall come to pass that he that feareth me shall be looking
for the great day of the Lord to come, even for the signs of the coming
of the Son of man; and they shall see signs and wonders, for they shall
be shown forth in the heavens above, and in the earth beneath; and they
shall behold blood and fire, and vapors of smoke;
- And before the day of the Lord shall come, the sun shall be darkened,
and the moon be turned into blood, and stars fall from heaven;
- And the remnant shall be gathered unto this place; and then they shall
look for me, and behold I will come; and they shall see me in the clouds
of heaven, clothed with power and great glory, with all the holy angels;
- And he that watches not for me shall be cut off.
- But before the arm of the Lord shall fall, an angel shall sound his
trump, and the saints that have slept, shall come forth to meet me in
- Wherefore if ye have slept in peace, blessed are you, for as you now
behold me and know that I am, even so shall ye come unto me and your
souls shall live, and your redemption shall be perfected, and the saints
shall come forth from the four quarters of the earth.
- Then shall the arm of the Lord fall upon the nations, and then shall
the Lord set his foot upon this mount, and it shall cleave in twain,
and the earth shall tremble and reel to and fro, and the heavens also
shall shake, and the Lord shall utter his voice and all the ends of
the earth shall hear it, and the nations of the earth shall mourn, and
they that have laughed shall see their folly, and calamity shall cover
the mocker, and the scorner shall be consumed, and they that have watched
for iniquity, shall be hewn down and cast into the fire.
- And then shall the Jews look upon me, and say, What are these wounds
in thine hands, and in thy feet?
- Then shall they know that I am the Lord; for I will say unto them,
These wounds, are the wounds with which I was wounded in the house of
- I am he who was lifted up.
- I am Jesus that was crucified.
- I am the Son of God.
- And then shall they weep because of their iniquities; then shall they
lament because they persecuted their King.
- And then shall the heathen nations be redeemed, and they which knew
no law shall have part in the first resurrection;
- And it shall be tolerable for them; and satan shall be bound that
he shall have no place in the hearts of the children of men.
- And at that day when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be
fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins:
- For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken
the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived;
- Verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the
fire, but shall abide the day, and the earth shall be given unto them
for an inheritance:
- And they shall multiply and wax strong, and their children shall grow
up without sin unto salvation, for the Lord shall be in their midst,
and his glory shall be upon them, and he will be their King and their
- And now, behold I say unto you, it shall not be given unto you to
know any farther than this, until the new testament be translated, and
in it all things shall be made known;
- Wherefore I give unto you that ye may now translate it, that ye may
be prepared for the things to come;
- For verily I say unto you, that great things await you;
- Ye hear of wars in foreign lands, but behold I say unto you they are
nigh even unto your doors, and not many years hence ye shall hear of
wars in your own lands.
- Wherefore I the Lord have said gather ye out from the eastern lands,
assemble ye yourselves together ye elders of my church;
- Go ye forth into the western countries, call upon the inhabitants
to repent, and inasmuch as they do repent, build up churches unto me;
and with one heart and with one mind, gather up your riches that ye
may purchase an inheritance which shall hereafter be appointed unto
you, and it shall be called the New Jerusalem, a land of peace, a city
of refuge, a place of safety for the saints of the most high God;
- And the glory of the Lord shall be there, and the terror of the Lord
also shall be there, insomuch that the wicked will not come unto it:
- And it shall be called Zion:
- And it shall come to pass, among the wicked, that every man that will
not take his sword against his neighbor, must needs flee unto Zion for
- And there shall be gathered unto it out of every nation under heaven:
- And it shall be the only people that shall not be at war one with
- And it shall be said among the wicked, let us not go up to battle
against Zion, for the inhabitants of Zion are terrible:
- Wherefore we can not stand.
- And it shall come to pass that the righteous shall be gathered out
from among all nations, and shall come to Zion singing, with songs of
- And now I say unto you, keep these things from going abroad unto the
world, until it is expedient in me, that ye may accomplish this work
in the eyes of the people, and in the eyes of your enemies, that they
may not know your works until ye have accomplished the thing which I
have commanded you:
- That when they shall know it, that they may consider these things,
for when the Lord shall appear he shall be terrible unto them, that
fear may seize upon them, and they shall stand afar off and tremble:
and all nations shall be afraid because of the terror of the Lord, and
the power of his might; even so: Amen.