A Revelation to the church, given in Kirtland, Ohio, March, 1831.
- Hearken, O ye people of my church, for verily I say unto you, that
these things were spoken unto you for your profit and learning;
- But notwithstanding those things which are written, it always has
been given to the elders of my church, from the beginning, and ever
shall be, to conduct all meetings as they are directed and guided by
the Holy Spirit:
- Nevertheless ye are commanded never to cast any one out from your
public meetings, which are held before the world:
- Ye are also commanded not to cast any one, who belongeth to the church,
out of your sacrament meetings:
- Nevertheless, if any have trespassed, let him partake until he makes
- And again I say unto you, ye shall not cast any one out of your sacrament
meetings, who is earnestly seeking the kingdom;
- I speak this concerning those who are not of the church.
- And again I say unto you, concerning your confirmation meetings, that
if there be any that is not of the church, that is earnestly seeking
after the kingdom, ye shall not cast them out;
- But ye are commanded in all things to ask of God who giveth liberally,
and that which the Spirit testifies unto you, even so I would that ye
should do in all holiness of heart, walking uprightly before me, considering
the end of your salvation, doing all things with prayer and thanksgiving,
that ye may not be seduced by evil spirits, or doctrines of devils,
or the commandments of men, for some are men, and others devils.
- Wherefore, beware lest ye are deceived! and that ye may not be deceived,
seek ye earnestly the best gifts, always remembering for what they are
- For verily I say unto you, they are given for the benefit of those
who love me and keep all my commandments, and him that seeketh so to
do, that all may be benefitted, that seeketh or that asketh of me, that
asketh and not for a sign that he may consume it upon his lusts.
- And again, verily I say unto you, I would that ye should always remember,
and always retain in your minds what those gifts are, that are given
unto the church, for all have not every gift given unto them: for there
are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God;
- To some it is given one, and to some is given another, that all may
be profited thereby;
- To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is
the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world;
to others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might
have eternal life, if they continue faithful.
- And again, to some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know the differences
of administration, as it will be pleasing unto the same Lord, according
as the Lord will, suiting his mercies, according to the conditions of
the children of men.
- And again it is given by the Holy Ghost to some to know the diversities
of operations, whether it be of God, that the manifestations of the
Spirit may be given to every man to profit withal.
- And again, verily I say unto you, to some it is given, by the Spirit
of God, the word of wisdom; to another it is given, the word of knowledge,
that all may be taught to be wise and to have knowledge.
- And again, to some it is given to have faith to be healed, and to
others it is given to have faith to heal.
- And again, to some it is given the working of miracles;
- And to others it is given to prophesy, and to others the discerning
- And again, it is given to some to speak with tongues, and to another
it is given the interpretation of tongues:
- And all these gifts cometh from God, for the benefit of the children
- And unto the bishop of the church, and unto such as God shall appoint
and ordain to watch over the church, and to be elders unto the church,
are to have it given unto them to discern all those gifts, lest there
shall be any among you professing and yet be not of God.
- And it shall come to pass that he that asketh in spirit shall receive
in spirit; that unto some it may be given to have all those gifts, that
there may be a head, in order that every member may be profited thereby:
- He that asketh in the spirit, asketh according to the will of God,
wherefore it is done even as he asketh.
- And again I say unto you, all things must be done in the name of Christ,
whatsoever you do in the spirit;
- And ye must give thanks unto God in the spirit for whatsoever blessing
ye are blessed with:
- And ye must practice virtue and holiness before me continually; even