A Revelation to the elders of the church assembled at Kirtland,
Ohio, given May, 1831.
- Hearken, O ye elders of my church, and give ear to the voice of the
living God; and attend to the words of wisdom which shall be given unto
you, according as ye have asked and are agreed as touching the church,
and the spirits which have gone abroad in the earth.
- Behold verily I say unto you, that there are many spirits which are
false spirits, which have gone forth in the earth, deceiving the world:
- And also satan hath sought to deceive you, that he might overthrow
- Behold I the Lord have looked upon you, and have seen abominations
in the church, which profess my name;
- But blessed are they who are faithful and endure, whether in life
or in death, for they shall inherit eternal life.
- But wo unto them that are deceivers, and hypocrites, for thus saith
the Lord, I will bring them to judgment.
- Behold verily I say unto you, there are hypocrites among you, and
have deceived some, which has given the adversary power, but behold
such shall be reclaimed;
- But the hypocrites shall be detected and shall be cut off, either
in life or in death, even as I will, and wo unto them who are cut off
from my church, for the same are overcome of the world:
- Wherefore, let every man beware lest he do that which is not in truth
and righteousness before me.
- And now come, saith the Lord, by the Spirit, unto the elders of his
church, and let us reason together, that ye may understand:
- Let us reason even as a man reasoneth one with another face to face:
- Now when a man reasoneth, he is understood of man, because he reasoneth
as a man; even so will I the Lord reason with you that you may understand:
- Wherefore I the Lord asketh you this question, unto what were ye ordained?
- To preach my gospel by the Spirit, even the Comforter which was sent
forth to teach the truth; and then received ye spirits which ye could
not understand, and received them to be of God, and in this are ye justified?
- Behold ye shall answer this question yourselves, nevertheless I will
be merciful unto you:
- He that is weak among you hereafter shall be made strong.
- Verily I say unto you, he that is ordained of me sent forth to preach
the word of truth by the Comforter, in the spirit of truth, doth he
preach it by the spirit of truth, or some other way? and if by some
other way, it be not of God.
- And again, he that receiveth the word of truth, doth he receive it
by the spirit of truth, or some other way? if it be some other way,
it be not of God;
- Therefore, why is it that ye can not understand and know that he that
receiveth the word by the spirit of truth, receiveth it as it is preached
by the spirit of truth?
- Wherefore, he that preacheth and he that receiveth, understandeth
one another, and both are edified and rejoice together; and that which
doth not edify, is not of God, and is darkness:
- That which is of God is light, and he that receiveth light and continueth
in God, receiveth more light, and that light groweth brighter and brighter,
until the perfect day.
- And again, verily I say unto you, and I say it that you may know the
truth, that you may chase darkness from among you, for he that is ordained
of God and sent forth, the same is appointed to be the greatest, notwithstanding
he is least, and the servant of all:
- Wherefore he is possessor of all things, for all things are subject
unto him, both in heaven and on the earth, the life, and the light,
the spirit, and the power, sent forth by the will of the Father, through
Jesus Christ, his Son;
- But no man is possessor of all things, except he be purified and cleansed
from all sin;
- And if ye are purified and cleansed from all sin, ye shall ask whatsoever
you will in the name of Jesus, and it shall be done:
- But know this, it shall be given you what you shall ask, and as ye
are appointed to the head, the spirits shall be subject unto you:
- Wherefore it shall come to pass, that if you behold a spirit manifested
that ye can not understand, and you receive not that spirit, ye shall
ask of the Father in the name of Jesus, and if he give not unto you
that spirit, then you may know that it is not of God:
- And it shall be given unto you power over that spirit, and you shall
proclaim against that spirit with a loud voice, that it is not of God;
- Not with railing accusation, that ye be not overcome; neither with
boasting, nor rejoicing, lest you be seized therewith:
- He that receiveth of God, let him account it of God, and let him rejoice
that he is accounted of God worthy to receive, and by giving heed and
doing these things which ye have received, and which ye shall hereafter
- And the kingdom is given unto you of the Father, and power to overcome
all things, which is not ordained of him:
- And behold, verily I say unto you, blessed are you who are now hearing
these words of mine from the mouth of my servant, for your sins are
- Let my servant Joseph (W.) in whom I am well pleased, and my servant
Parley, go forth among the churches and strengthen them by the word
- And also my servant John (C.,) or as many of my servants as are ordained
unto this office, and let them labor in the vineyard;
- And let no man hinder them of doing that which I have appointed unto
- Wherefore in this thing my servant Edward is not justified, neverthe[l]ess
let him repent and he shall be forgiven.
- Behold ye are little children, and ye can not bear all things now;
ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth.
- Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the
world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me;
- And none of them which my Father hath given me shall be lost:
- And the Father and I are one; I am in the Father and the Father in
- And inasmuch as ye have received me, ye are in me, and I in you: wherefore
I am in your midst; and I am the good Shepherd;
- And the day cometh that you shall hear my voice and see me, and know
that I am.
- Watch, therefore, that ye may be ready; even so: Amen.