A Revelation to the elders of the church assembled in Kirtland,
Ohio, given June, 1831.
- Behold, thus saith the Lord unto the elders whom he hath called and
chosen, in these last days, by the voice of his Spirit, saying, I the
Lord will make known unto you what I will that ye shall do from this
time until the next conference, which shall be held in Missouri, upon
the land which I will consecrate unto my people, which are a remnant
of Jacob, and them who are heirs according to the covenant.
- Wherefore, verily I say unto you, let my servants Joseph and Sidney
take their journey as soon as preparations can be made to leave their
homes, and journey to the land of Missouri.
- And inasmuch as they are faithful unto me it shall be made known unto
them what they shall do:
- And it shall also, inasmuch as they are faithful, be made known unto
them the land of your inheritance.
- And inasmuch As they are not faithful, they shall be cut off, even
as I will, as seemeth me good.
- And again, verily I say unto you, let my servant Lyman (W.,) and my
servant John (C.,) take their journey speedily:
- And also my servant John (M.) and my servant Hyrum, take their journey
unto the same place by the way of Detroit.
- And let them journey from thence preaching the word by the way, saying
none other things than that which the prophets and apostles have written,
and that which is taught them by the Comforter, through the prayer of
- Let them go two by two, and thus let them preach by the way in every
congregation, baptizing by water, and the laying on of the hands by
the water side:
- For thus saith the Lord, I will cut my work short in righteousness:
- For the days cometh that I will send forth judgment unto victory.
- And let my servant Lyman beware, for satan desireth to sift him as
- And behold, he that is faithful shall be made ruler over many things.
- And again, I will give unto you a pattern in all things, that ye may
not be deceived, for satan is abroad in the land, and he goeth forth
deceiving the nations:
- Wherefore he that prayeth whose spirit is contrite, the same is accepted
of me, if he obey mine ordinances:
- He that speaketh, whose spirit is contrite, whose language is meek,
and edifieth, the same is of God, if he obey mine ordinances.
- And again, he that trembleth under my power, shall be made strong,
and shall bring forth fruits of praise, and wisdom, according to the
revelations,and truths which I have given you.
- And again, he that is overcome and bringeth not forth fruits, even
according to this pattern, is not of me:
- Wherefore by this pattern ye shall know the spirits in all cases,
under the whole heavens.
- And the days have come, according to men's faith it shall be done
- Behold this commandment is given unto all the elders whom I have chosen.
- And again, verily I say unto you, let my servant Thomas, and my servant
Ezra, take their journey also, preaching the word by the way, unto this
- And again, let my servant Isaac and my servant Ezra (B.,) take their
journey, also preaching the word by the way unto the same land.
- And again, let my servant Edward and Martin take their journey with
my servants Sidney and Joseph.
- Let my servant David and Harvey, also take their journey, and preach
by the way unto this same land.
- Let my servants Parley and Orson (P.) take their journey, and preach
by the way, even unto this same land.
- And let my servants Solomon and Simeon, also take their journey unto
this same land, and preach by the way.
- Let my servants Edson and Jacob (S.,) also take their journey.
- Let my servants Levi and Zebidee, also take their journey.
- Let my servants Reynolds and Samuel, also take their journey.
- Let my servants Wheeler and William (C.,) also take their journey.
- And let my servants Newel (K.) and Selah, both be ordained and also
take their journey:
- Yea, verily I say, let all these take their journey unto one place,
in their several courses, and one man shall not build upon another's
foundation, neither journey into another's track.
- He that is faithful, the same shall be kept and blessed with much
- And again, I say unto you, let my servant[s] Joseph (W.) and Solomon
(H.,) take their journey into the eastern lands.
- Let them labor with their families, declaring none other things than
the prophets and apostles, that which they have seen, and heard, and
most assuredly believe, that the prophecies may be fulfilled.
- In consequence of transgression, let that which was bestowed upon
Herman, be taken from him, and placed upon the head of Simonds.
- And again, verily I say unto you, let Jared be ordained a priest,
and also George be ordained a priest.
- Let the residue of the elders watch over the churches, and declare
the word in the regions among them.
- And let them labor with their own hands, that there be no idolatry
nor wickedness practiced. And remember in all things, the poor and the
needy, the sick and the afflicted, for he that doeth not these things,
the same is not my disciple.
- And again, let my servants Joseph and Sidney and Edward, take with
them a recommend from the church.
- And let there be one obtained for my servant Oliver, also:
- And thus, even as I have said, if ye are faithful, ye shall assemble
yourselves together to rejoice upon the land of Missouri, which is the
land of your inheritance, which is now the land of your enemies.
- But behold I the Lord will hasten the city in its time;
- And will crown the faithful with joy and with rejoicing.
- Behold I am Jesus Christ, the Son of God, and I will lift them up
at the last day; even so: Amen.