A Revelation to the church, and certain elders, given in Kirtland,
Ohio, June, 1831.
- Hearken O ye people which profess my name, saith the Lord your God,
for behold mine anger is kindled against the rebellious, and they shall
know mine arm and mine indignation in the day of visitation and of wrath
upon the nations.
- And he that will not take up his cross and follow me, and keep my
commandments, the same shall not be saved.
- Behold I the Lord commandeth, and he that will not obey shall be cut
off in mine own due time:
- And after that I have commanded and the commandment is broken, wherefore
I the Lord command and revoke, as it seemeth me good; and all this to
be answered upon the heads of the rebellious saith the Lord:
- Wherefore I revoke the commandment which was given unto my servants
Thomas and Ezra, and give a now commandment unto my servant Thomas,
that he shall take up his journey speedily to the land of Missouri;
- And my servant Selah shall also go with him:
- For behold I revoke the commandment which was given unto my servants
Selah and Newel, in consequence of the stiffneckedness of my people
which are in Thompson; and their rebellions:
- Wherefore let my servant Newel remain with them, and as many as will
go may go, that are contrite before me, and be led by him to the land
which I have appointed.
- And again, verily I say unto you, that my servant Ezra must repent
of his pride, and of his selfishness, and obey the former commandment
which I have given him concerning the place upon which he lives;
- And if he will do this, as there shall be no divisions made upon the
land, he shall be appointed still to go to the land of Missouri;
- Otherwise he shall rece[i]v[e] the money which he has paid, and shall
leave the place, and shall be cut off out of my church, saith the Lord
God of hosts:
- And though the heaven and the earth pass away, these words shall not
pass away, but shall be fulfilled.
- And if my servant Joseph must needs pay the money, behold I the Lord
will pay it unto him again in the land of Missouri, that those of whom
he shall receive may be rewarded again, according to that which they
- For according to that which they do, they shall receive; even in lands
for their inheritance.
- Behold thus saith the Lord unto my people, you have many things to
do, and to repent of:
- For behold your sins have come up unto me, and are not pardoned, because
you seek counsel in your own ways.
- And your hearts are not satisfied.
- And ye obey not the truth, but have pleasure in unrighteousness.
- Wo unto you rich men, that will not give your substance to the poor,
for your riches will canker your souls! and this shall be your lamentation
in the day of visitation, and of judgement, and of indignation:
- The harvest is past, the summer is ended, and my soul is not saved!
- Wo unto you poor men, whose hearts are not broken, whose spirits are
not contrite, and whose bellies are not satisfied, and whose hands are
not stayed from laying hold upon other men's goods, whose eyes are full
of greediness, who will not labor with their own hands!
- But blessed are the poor, who are pure in heart, whose hearts are
broken, and whose spirits are contrite, for they shall see the kingdom
of God coming in power and great glory unto their deliverance:
- For the fatness of the earth shall be theirs:
- For behold the Lord shall come, and his recompense shall be with him,
and he shall reward every man, and the poor shall rejoice: and their
generations shall inherit the earth from generation to generation, for
ever and ever.
- And now I make an end of speaking unto you; even so: Amen.